Traditional Eccles cakes are made with just currants, very delicious but a little extra yummiest I think is really needed. So I add plump ruby cranberries and sweet sun kissed sultanas. So scrumptious to combine a combination of different dried fruits. These lovely treats can be made into small delicate cakes and even eaten in place of a traditional minced pie!!
Block of puff pastry, I had home made which weighed 300g
30 dried cranberries, chopped
80g demarera sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg, whisked
extra demarera to sprinkle
Preheat the oven to 190C.
1. Cut the puff pastry into 9 equal portions.
2. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and then roll out to the thickness of a pound coin a circumference of about 10cm round.
3. Mix the dried ingredients together and pop into a bowl.
4. Take a small amount of the filling and place onto each pastry disk.
5. Now place the disk with fruit in the palm of your hand pinch and bring together.
6. Turn seam side down and roll with a rolling pin. Pierce two small slits in the top. Be careful to not go all the way through.
7. Egg wash and sprinkle with a little a little demarera.
Bake for around 30 minutes, until delicious and golden.