As a family we very much enjoy ice cream. However nothing beats going on holiday to Italy and popping into a 'Gelateria', and asking for tiramisu or pannacotta flavour.
Now though we have so many wonderful flavours and foods around that we ourselves are able to develop our own flavours and textures.
Nutella. A staple part of my growing up. I would adore lashings between white sliced bread. Simple pleasure. Nutella on steaming hot toast, and if you are anything like my sister she just dives into the jar with a spoon. Last night I thought to myself I have used Nutella in cakes, but how about ice cream. Immediately I fancied ice cold ice cream on a delicious crunchy cone. So I went to work........
225ml whole milk
175g granulated sugar
450ml double cream
4 large tbsp nutella
2 tbsp frangelico hazelnut liquor
2. Pour in the cream and mix.
3. Spoon in the nutella, try to not lick the spoon as you go!!
4. With a large balloon whisk, whisk until all of the nutella has mixed well into the creamy mixture.
5. Add in the frangelico liquor. You can omit this if the children are going to be having some, or just reduce the liquor to 1tbsp.
6. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill. Then pour into your ice cream maker for around 45 minutes, until thick.
If you do not have an ice cream maker, no problem. Pour into a large plastic container with a lid and pop into the freezer. Then every 20 minutes you will need to run a fork through it to break up the crystals. A longer process but you will get there!!
On a cone, or bowl and enjoy. The smell is amazing and will transport you to a typical 'Gelateria'.